Juju 1.26-alpha3 moving to 2.0-alpha1

Alexis Bruemmer alexis.bruemmer at canonical.com
Fri Dec 4 21:06:00 UTC 2015

Hi All,

Juju 2.0 has been a long time coming and we will see it release in April
2016 with Ubuntu 16.04!  Among many other improvements, the 2.0 release
will have a better bootstrap experience that leverages all the great work
done around multi-model solutions.  Juju 2.0 bootstrapping will
automatically create a controller (previously known as a Juju State Server)
with a hosted model (previously known as an environment); the new behavior
automatically provides the user with a usable model and a clear path for
adding more models to the bootstrapped controller.  This improvement
however, changes the expected functionality of the current 1.X bootstrap
command.  Our commitment to Juju users on LTS releases states clearly that
we do not break backwards compatibility on point releases (including
changing base expected behavior).  For this reason we will be dropping the
1.26.0 release and turning the current 1.26-alpha3 into 2.0-alpha1.

This is an update to our current release plans (
https://github.com/juju/juju/wiki/Juju-Release-Schedule) which has a 1.26.0
release scheduled for January.  Although this means waiting a little longer
for features, moving to a 2.0 enables the development team to deliver a
strong and correct 2.0 user experience.  The Juju team will continue to
release alphas and betas on a regular cadence so that new features will be
available in the devel ppa (ppa:juju/devel).  The first 2.0-alpha1 is
scheduled to release the week of December 7th.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks!
Alexis

--
Alexis Bruemmer