Juju Digest, Vol 55, Issue 18

Bruno Pereira brunopereira81 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 13:20:02 UTC 2015

Diskless is tricky using the current structure of MAAS (at least on the
stage I last tested it around 1 year ago), its fairly simple to do, but not
if you follow a install with a reboot in to OS, similar to kickstart
installations, structure.

For diskless you need to pxe boot a initial initrd and kernel image, load
the same kernel as your OS image, find a way of downloading your image (bit
torrent is an idea as much silly as it might sound, deployment of 1000's of
servers is really hard even for very fast networks), decompress that image
to RAM, chrooting and loading your OS system with services and all.

Diskless is fancy and cool, but not required to do HPC, after all you don't
keep deploying a cluster day after day (even running diskless the up time
is amazing), stability is the word. 99% of the clusters you see in the
field are with some sort of HDDs. The only one I remember have seen
installed by my company was big 3k nodes recently, but the last one was
more than a year ago.

Would love to see MAAS and juju deploying clusters of nodes and seeing
Ubuntu have its rightful place in that area, if I had the time to work on
that it would be lovely, but unfortunately am just too busy, does not mean
that I can't share the idea :)

Regards,

Bruno Pereira