Juju and TOSCA

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com
Thu Aug 6 16:05:22 UTC 2015

Hi Merlijn,

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 12:00 PM, Merlijn Sebrechts <
merlijn.sebrechts at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been using Juju for a while now and I came across TOSCA. TOSCA is an
> OASIS open standard that can be used to model the full life-cycle of cloud
> applications.
>
> As stated before, the TOSCA concepts are very similar to Juju.

The initial tosca gatherings happened shortly after we released working
juju code, so that's not too surprising.

> I'm wondering if there are any plans surrounding Juju and TOSCA. I see
> that Canonical is part of the TOSCA TC. Are there any plans to bring TOSCA
> and Juju closer together? TOSCA's move to yaml is already a big leap in the
> right direction...
>
> I see that a TOSCA-Juju translator project
> <https://github.com/juju/juju-tosca> exists, however I do not know what
> the state of that project is. I am also more interested in a native
> implementation of some of the TOSCA concepts since there are big advantages
> in having a tosca-like representation of a running cloud, beyond what Juju
> already offers.

What real advantages do you perceive in that sense?

We're constantly designing and improving juju, so that sort of feedback is
very welcome. Our last planning sprint happened just last week.

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net