Existing Charms: Can we get ppc64 PPA's built?

Jorge O. Castro jorge at ubuntu.com
Fri Apr 17 11:17:43 UTC 2015

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 2:39 PM, Johnny Shieh <jshieh at us.ibm.com> wrote:
> Remove of reference to non-existent PPA actually results in a successful
> install on Power.
> Should the reference to PPA be removed?

Hi Johnny,

Randall Ross is investigating the status of PPA builders for POWER but
it'll take him a bit to get all the info from the infrastructure team,
in the meantime ...

I've always been of the opinion that the source of binaries in a charm
should default to trusted sources (aka what's in the distro). However
for things like nginx, there are always some nice goodies that are in
newer stable releases, hence people like to use PPAs. I think a
working charm with nginx in the distro should be fine (the one in
trusty is not that old), and then a config option to enable using
another repository.

This would not only let users use that PPA, but their own repo if they
have it, or the official repo from nginx.org, etc. It would also give
users an upgrade path once we get POWER PPA builders up.

--
Jorge Castro
Canonical Ltd.