Tests Best Practices

José Antonio Rey jose at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 9 16:17:18 UTC 2015

Hello everyone,

A couple days ago I was going through the docs, and found out that there
are not best practices or recommendations for tests. Now that we are
trying to ensure quality, I believe it would be a good idea to have them.

I know that one of the benefits of Juju being so open is that you can
write your charm or tests in any language. However, having these best
practices will allow us to set a recommendation for when people are
getting started, or don't know how to proceed. I understand that this
may be seen as a limitation, but it is instead a guidance for when
someone comes to the ecosystem, or wants to get some tips on how to
write tests.

I was thinking on starting with two points. These are assuming that you
are using Python and Amulet to write your tests. The first one, the use
of the unit_tests packages. As a starter with Python, I have found out
the use of it quite easy, and helps me condensate everything into one
big file. Which takes me to the second point, having everything in one
file. This would allow us to save resources and time (since bundletester
tears down for each file), and would make it look nicer. At least that's
how I've been proceeding for my last tests.

What do you think? I'm all ears to new suggestions or why these aren't good.

--
José Antonio Rey