Did You Know: charm create -t exists?

Charles Butler charles.butler at canonical.com
Fri Sep 26 14:45:23 UTC 2014

After relaying some information in #juju this morning, I see that its not
very well known that recent editions of the charm-tools package has
template support for charm creation to reduce the overall headaches of
getting started quickly with your charm creation process.

charm create -t

usage: charm-create [-h] [-t TEMPLATE] [-a] [-v] charmname [charmhome]

positional arguments:
  charmname             Name of charm to create.
  charmhome             Dir to create charm in. Defaults to CHARM_HOME env
var
                        or PWD

optional arguments:
  -h, --help            show this help message and exit
  -t TEMPLATE, --template TEMPLATE
                        Name of charm template to use; default is python.
                        Installed templates: python, bash
  -a, --accept-defaults
                        Accept all template configuration defaults without
                        prompting.
  -v, --verbose         Print debug information

We have additional templates planned, the few I know about are:

   - Ansible -
   https://code.launchpad.net/~tvansteenburgh/charm-tools/ansible-template/+merge/224480
   - Services Framework (python charm-helpers flavor) - merged, pending
   release
   - Chef - TBD

If we've missed any templates, look into filing a bug/making a contribution
to charm-tools so we can get it reviewed and included for the next release.

All the best,

Charles