Juju + MAAS + Image Downloads

David Britton davidpbritton at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 23:02:20 UTC 2014

Hi juju folks --

I'm using MAAS + Juju to do some testing behind a firewall with LXCs.  I
want to accelerate the download of the large images that I am
downloading from cloud-images.ubuntu.com.

I see that MAAS has cloud images.  Ideally, I'd like to instruct Juju to
download them from there:

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/juju-core/+bug/1357045

But I'm not sure that is possible.  So, I'll leave it to someone else to
pick up that bug if they think it's worthwhile.

I then tried to setup squid and proxy them transparently and found that
the image-metadata-url that I give juju is only for the .json files that
are referenced.  The images are still downloaded via https from
cloud-images.ubuntu.com.  I'm not even sure if this is a bug.  I mean, I
understand why you want https, but if I want to mirror it, it's a new
level of commitment to make it https only especially in a private
environment.

Is the only option for me to mirror cloud-images and set up an https
endpoint (or a transparent https m-i-t-m proxy) in order to avoid
downloading these large images over and over?

--
David Britton <davidpbritton at gmail.com>