A charmer's first 5 minutes

Kevin Monroe kevin.monroe at canonical.com
Fri Oct 24 18:48:49 UTC 2014

Good day,

Earlier this month, an elite squad of Rosales henchmen assembled in a war
room in Western Europe. Led by Randall Ross, their objective was to define
a new charm author's first five minute experience.

Code named "a new charm author's first five minute experience", the gist of
their secret meeting has been leaked:

https://gist.github.com/kwmonroe/bbafc23c1f04f756ba22

Please take a moment to read over that and provide feedback.  The intent is
to have 1 walk-through for new charmers.  It's simple, takes 5(ish)
minutes, and hopefully leaves the reader wanting more -- which is where our
in-depth walk-throughs will take over.

The motivation here is that our current docs have multiple places that take
a reader through creating a charm (one for vagrant, one in the charm
walk-through, etc).  We want to fix that and control the new charm author's
experience a bit better.

Questions I could use answers to:

1 - we're installing apache and changing the homepage.  is that too
simple?  can we show off more complexity and still fit in our 5 minute
window?

2 - run through the exercise.  does it take 5 minutes?  if it's too long,
can you identify some verbosity that can be removed?

3 - spelling/grammar/layout problems?  please comment.

Thanks!
-Kevin