Updated Openstack charms broke our HA

James Page james.page at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 12 10:03:57 UTC 2014

Hi John

On 11/11/14 10:28, John McEleney wrote:
[...]
> These changes to the charms are obviously part of a wider plan to
> mature the Juju charms, and presumably to support a broader range
> of deployment scenarios. I've been Googling around, and I can't
> find any documentation that explains where these charms are
> headed.

We always discuss the plan for the OpenStack charm set at the Ubuntu
Online Summit (every three months or so) - you can catch our last
discussion in full here:

  http://youtu.be/G7UWT0rrBzg

and we document work items and objectives from these sessions in the
Launchpad blueprint system:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/servercloud-u-openstack-charms

which should give you a general idea as to what is planned in any release.

Co-incidentally its the Ubuntu Online Summit today->Friday; we will be
discussing charm plans, but its not on the schedule right now:

  http://summit.ubuntu.com/uos-1411/track/devops/

will be real soon now....

> For instance, for HA the updated charms now support multiple vips,
> but those multiple vips must be bound to multiple NICs. These
> multiple NICs must exist inside an LXC container that Juju has
> instantiated. Where is the documentation that describes how one
> creates such an LXC container? Presumably the host system must
> provide multiple bridges for the LXC container to attach to, and
> juju has to reconcile available networks (on the host) with
> required networks, but I don't see this documented anywhere.

Use of the multi-network feature with LXC containers and Juju is not
supported (yet); The Juju team have plans in this area so I'll not try
to cover that in this response as I see its being discussed elsewhere.

> From the perspective of someone using the charms, these changes
> seem to have come out of the blue, and the built-in Charm
> documentation (readme, config etc.) doesn't provide an overview of
> how this new multi-NIC HA is supposed to work.

We release major charm updates alongside every Ubuntu release, so the
charm release notes are a good place to find out about changes:

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UtopicUnicorn/ReleaseNotes/OpenStackCharms

I'm planning a blog post prior to the end of the year on how to use
the new 'network-split' feature of the charms in more detail; we also
plan to overhaul the README's in all charms this cycle - they have
been neglected.

Regards

James

- --