Unit-get

Andrew Wilkins andrew.wilkins at canonical.com
Mon Nov 10 01:45:30 UTC 2014

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 9:32 AM, Michael Nelson <
michael.nelson at canonical.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 3:19 PM, Andrew Wilkins
> <andrew.wilkins at canonical.com> wrote:
> > Hi Sameer,
> >
> > The behaviour changed a few months ago to address a bug:
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/juju-core/+bug/1353442
> >
> > Is this causing you problems, or were you just surprised/curious?
>

> Hi Andrew. This did cause a bug in the elasticsearch charm recently
> [1] - I'd not realised it was related to a juju change, but thought it
> was just a difference on ec2, that the private-address was not an IP
> address (I had only tested with local, canonistack and HP).

The change that I referred to was MAAS-specific. I'm looking at the AWS
code now, and it looks like it should now be and always was returning the
FQDN for private-address. My experience with the AWS provider is not strong
enough to know for sure, though.

> The reason it caused an issue was because we were using the
> private-address as part of a firewall rule which required an IP
> address. We've pushed a fix now, but is there a way to foresee this
> kind of change in the future? Maybe for these changes which might
> affect charms, we could trigger retests for some set of approved
> charms across HP, ec2 etc.?

I think that makes sense. I'm not sure what gets tested in CI, but I do
think we should have some acceptance testing with real charms if we don't
already.