[Review Queue] Tez and Shoutcast

Curtis Hovey-Canonical curtis at canonical.com
Mon Nov 3 15:16:23 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 3:48 PM, Whit Morriss
<whit.morriss at canonical.com> wrote:
> Today I reviewed a bundle and a charm, both from our esteemed Chuck Butler.
>
> The tez bundle sets up a framework for doing realtime high volume data
> processing using Yarn and hadoop:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/charms/+bug/1383903.
>
> Shoutcast is the venerable internet radio server:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/charms/+bug/1374085
>
> Both worked great and got +1s from me.  I did run into a couple juju related
> bumps working on ec2.  First was forgetting to set my instance-type
> constraint and getting dinged for limited capacity on m1.smalls:
>
>     agent-state-info: 'cannot run instances: We currently do not have
> sufficient m1.small
>       capacity in the Availability Zone you requested (us-east-1d). Our
> system will
>       be working on provisioning additional capacity. You can currently get
> m1.small
>       capacity by not specifying an Availability Zone in your request or
> choosing
>       us-east-1c, us-east-1a. (InsufficientInstanceCapacity)'

I have work around this my giving new constraints to select an
instance-type that is available.

Ideally, juju would try another AZ when the instance type is not available.

> The second was an error that popped up several times.  These machine hung
> around in status, but blocked deploy until destroyed.  Destroying service
> and machine cleared up the issue and allowed deployment.
>
>     agent-state-info: 'cannot run instances: No default subnet for
> availability zone:
>       ''us-east-1e''. (InvalidInput)'

This is reported as
https://bugs.launchpad.net/juju-core/+bug/1388860
and I made it critical. If this is an intermittent aws issue that
resolves itself, we will lower the bug to high.

--
Curtis Hovey
Canonical Cloud Development and Operations