Manipulating juju-gui upon running hooks of other charms

Richard Harding rick.harding at canonical.com
Mon Nov 3 12:47:05 UTC 2014

On Mon, 03 Nov 2014, Malshan Peiris wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have juju-gui charm and other charm (A) deployed. Is it possible to do
> following while running hook scripts of charm A:
>
> 1. Make configurations read only for charm A on juju-gui.
>
> ex: We have a charm which should only allow configuration changes only once.

Not currently. We've wanted to do a read-only mode but wanted to wait for
Juju to gain the idea of users beyond admin so that some users have full
access and others have read-only access. With users work landing in Juju
1.21 (the next release) this is something we'll be looking to put into the
roadmap.

> 2. Pop up messages on juju-gui as called by hook scripts of charm A.
>
> ex: We have certain info messages to be shown to the user while making
> relationships on our charm using juju-gui.

Hmmm, so the GUI maintains a database of services, relations, machines, and
units (window.app.db). You'd have to add some JS to the page that watched
that database for changes. From there you can fire notifications like the
rest of the app using db.notifications.add().

Hope that helps. Feel free to let me know if you've got any other
questions.

--

Rick Harding

Juju UI Engineering