arch constraint default changed?

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo at niemeyer.net
Tue May 13 12:17:39 UTC 2014

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 8:18 AM, John Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:
> FWIW, I've gotten bug requests from a user that did a regular bootstrap and
> then was trying to "juju upgrade-juju --upload-tools" and was confused that
> his local machine wasn't able to upgrade tools for his environment. (he was
> running i386 locally, and bootstrap created an amd64 machine).
> And while we desperately want to not expose --upload-tools in its current
> incarnation, we haven't given an alternative for those use cases.

There's nothing wrong with tweaking constraints if the application
sees the --upload-tools option. At the same time, getting a bug from a
user is not enough reason to tweak the defaults for everybody.

> Also, while we have a reasonably clear model for "if you have the choice
> between amd64 and i386 pick amd64", I don't think people disagree with that.
> But what if you have the choice between amd64 and ppc64le and the client is
> running on ppc64le? Is it likely that they are actually thinking in a ppc
> world?

I don't see how that logic holds. Using an arm laptop as a client does
not imply I want to use all my server deployments on arm. The same
holds true for the operating system, or to the Ubuntu series, or to
pretty much anything else: I would not expect the tool to deploy a
completely different environment based on where I'm sitting this
second.

> We certainly had a lot of discussions around this between Nate and myself,
> and while I think I was reasonably convinced that we could just pick amd64
> if it was an option, it seems he was also reasonably convinced that we'd
> want to use the client arch if available. (He wrote it as "just pick amd64",
> I argued against it but ended up feeling it was a reasonable pick among
> alternatives, but then he changed it before landing.)

If I had the chance, I would submit these kinds of decisions to the
development mailing list, rather than arbitrating it back and forth in
isolation like that. This is changing the default behavior for
everybody, so sending it for the team's appraisal feels cheap.

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net