Juju Academy

Marco Ceppi marco at ceppi.net
Wed May 7 16:16:59 UTC 2014

Hi everyone!

I was trying to keep this under wraps as I worked on it more before
announcing to the world but I'm too excited with the progress so far so
here's the "SUPER ALPHA BETA OMEGA" introduction to Juju Academy.

I started this, http://juju.academy (http://learnjuju.com) based on my own
experiences when trying new software. Primarily modeled after the Learn Go
Lang webiste (http://tour.golang.org/) I set out to create an easy platform
that emulates a terminal environment and allows a user to try Juju before
ever having to install it. In addition I wanted to make a lightweight
lesson framework to help guide new users in this exciting new Service
Orchestration paradigm. Finally, the last goal of this project was to build
an easy to embed module that could live in the docs to provide very
lightweight terminal sessions that users could use to review what portions
of the docs they were reading.

Right now I've modeled just a hand full of lessons and only a few of the
juju commands have actually been implemented. As this is a spare time
project progress comes in chunks of time over the weekend and in the
evenings. However, if you're interested in piloting the demoware and
shaking out bugs please do so! You can view the lessons at
http://juju.academy the source code is
https://github.com/marcoceppi/juju-academy and the issue tracker is on that
repo.

Your juju environment(s) persist not only between lessons but also between
page visits. If at anytime you wish to start anew you can do so by issuing
the "reset" command in the terminal. I'm working on finishing
http://help.juju.academy which will have this and other FAQ/Guide like
questions to use the software. All Juju help can be found, as always, at
https://juju.ubuntu.com/docs

This is also a call for help! Anyone interested in writing lessons, command
modules, fixing bugs, making this look nicer, etc - pull requests are
welcome! The entire project aims to be modular (in that this framework
could be used for non juju terminal lessons). Lessons are simply JSONP
files that contain a set number of keys and commands are functions that
perform some rudimentary validation.

I eagerly await feedback and have had an immense amount of fun working on
this so far! I'll likely follow up with a more official announcement when
more of the commands have been implemented.

Thanks,
Marco Ceppi