JuJu, LXC, OpenStack charm problem w/Nova & Quantum

Tim Fall tim at midokura.com
Mon Mar 17 21:19:15 UTC 2014

Brian,
	I think you’re right about some things here, so let me chime in a bit:

Giant Disclaimer: I work for an OpenStack SDN company.

	You’re point about LXC as a good “base” for cloud use is well taken. My personal feeling is (unbeknownst to my employer) is that non-virtualization offers so much more than virtualization, that it should replace any virtualized systems. But that’s likely another discussion.

	More to this point, I have been working with at least two unnamed large private cloud providers that intend to build their OpenStack deployments onto of LXC, so you may see it in production soon than you think.

	I also agree with you that LXC should be treated as a full-fledged option within Juju. I know it was originally just intended as a way for developers to test charms on their own machines, but it seems much more useful for deployments beyond just what you’ve mentioned.

	As I mentioned before, I do work for an SDN company, so my view may be jaded here, but I would like that VxLAN as a virtualized network solution limits LXC deployments more than it helps. Since LXC supports the OpenVSwitch kernel module, any number of virtualization solutions could take advantage of that to provide networking that is more flexible and scalable than pure VxLAN.

-Tim