JuJu, LXC, OpenStack charm problem w/Nova & Quantum

Kapil Thangavelu kapil.thangavelu at canonical.com
Mon Mar 17 19:50:17 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 3:37 PM, Tim Penhey <tim.penhey at canonical.com>wrote:

> On 18/03/14 05:35, Matt Rae wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 7:04 AM, James Page <james.page at ubuntu.com
> >> It would be interesting to know what are the blockers for this to
> >> work. Using the local provider has been very convenient and it
> >> would be nice to be able to deploy openstack without maas.
> >
> > Would switching to nova-network be a workaround for neutron? Could
> > nova-compute use the virt-type="lxc" to get around the hypervisor
> > issues?
>
> Just idly wondering, but what are the minimum kvm requirements for
> nova-compute and quantum-gateway?

hardware supports nested virt on compute (if using kvm on nova-compute lxc
should work okay), quantum is a bit of a mystery.

> Currently the juju local provider has just one container factory (used
> for creating machines). It is just a simple manner of code to make it
> work with both kvm and lxc.

i noticed that limitation with the local provider, i think mixed container
usage would help, we would need to direct both to the same bridge. not sure
if that the will resolve all the issues.

 Did you realize that you can use the
> local provider configured to use kvm containers?

/me nods

kvm machine per openstack instance are a bit overkill, hulk smash/deploy-to
would help though but needs a bundle/deployer config with co-location for
folks to use.

> Now I've not put too much thought into this yet, and we don't have any
> time before 14.04, but could be an interesting spike to show something
> off at ODS.

i was thinking it would be nice for 14.10 to have a dev/demo on one machine
to prod workflow on openstack. tbd, there are a few other projects working
on the same.

> We could have some bundle that described an openstack local deployment
> where you could go 'juju quickstart local-openstack' and have a
> complete openstack deployment on your laptop in a combination of lxc
> and kvm containers.
>
> Thoughts?

openstack as dev or demo on local sounds awesome.

-k