JuJu, LXC, OpenStack charm problem w/Nova & Quantum

John Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Sun Mar 16 12:44:43 UTC 2014

I believe that Nova Compute itself prefers to deploy its units as KVM.
(So when a user connects to your Openstack deployment and asks for a
VM, they will get a KVM backed machine).
IIRC, you *cannot*  create a KVM container inside an LXC container. So
you wouldn't be able to deploy Nova-compute into an LXC if it then
wanted to deploy KVM instances. Perhaps you could do something where
you tell Nova-compute to create LXC containers. You would then end up
with nested LXC, which I know had some bugs in the past (If you get
the cgroups wrong, the nested containers will refuse to run do to App
Armor profiles, etc).

So I'm guessing that the Openstack charms are designed to deploy onto
more real-metal than containers, and barring that,probably KVM
containers rather than LXC.

John
=:->