Application for Juju Charmer Status

Charles Butler chuck at dasroot.net
Sat Mar 15 05:29:02 UTC 2014

Greetings Charmers,

I've been talking myself up in preparation for this application process.
I've been poking around the juju charm queue for the last month and a half,
writing charm tests for the audit and learning everything I can about the
current status of the juju ecosystem.

I feel that I am ready to take my first steps into the arena of being a
Juju Charmer after becoming battle hardened by taking part in the great
Charm Audit of 2014, and my first full week as the on-duty reviewer of the
Charm Review Queue.

I list my credentials for your evaluation:

I understand the charm testing procedure, and champion its use to the
community at large:
lp:~lazypower/charms/precise/jenkins/amulet-tests<https://code.launchpad.net/~lazypower/charms/precise/jenkins/amulet-tests>
lp:~lazypower/charms/precise/owncloud/tests<https://code.launchpad.net/~lazypower/charms/precise/owncloud/tests>

UDS 2014 - How to get started writing Amulet Tests
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlTeRjGv4E4

I understand that bugs are part of any software development process, and
try to illustrate good practice on opening bugs against the charms that
warrant them: (and submit patches)

#1279924 Needs Maintainer<https://bugs.launchpad.net/charms/+source/cassandra/+bug/1279924>
 #1274639 NFS relationship logic is
broken<https://bugs.launchpad.net/charms/+source/owncloud/+bug/1274639>
#1270968 Race condition in config-changed
hook<https://bugs.launchpad.net/charms/+source/mediawiki/+bug/1270968>

#1287393 NRPE Fails to find an IP on
AWS<https://bugs.launchpad.net/charms/+source/nrpe/+bug/1287393>
#1287394 NRPE units not displaying in nagios web
interface<https://bugs.launchpad.net/charms/+source/nagios/+bug/1287394>

I actively contribute to enhancing the juju documentation for all users
https://github.com/juju/docs/pull/27
https://github.com/juju/docs/pull/19

I've written charms and actively submit patches to charms for bugs/feature
requests and supporting projects

*juju-ansible-quickstart-scaffolding*
https://github.com/absoludity/charm-bootstrap-ansible/pull/1
*Juju-Chef-quickstart-scaffolding*
https://github.com/Altoros/juju-charm-chef/pull/1

*My Authored charms:*
https://github.com/chuckbutler/errbit-charm-chef
https://github.com/chuckbutler/starbound-charm
https://github.com/chuckbutler/datastax-opscenter-charm
https://github.com/chuckbutler/papertrail-charm

*Presentations over Juju at-large*
https://github.com/juju/presentations/pull/2

I have landed successful charm submissions with low signal to noise ratio
during the final review process:

#1125869 New charm: postfix <https://bugs.launchpad.net/charms/+bug/1125869>
#1284738 New Apache Syncope Juju
Charm<https://bugs.launchpad.net/charms/+bug/1284738>
#1273790 Charm Needed: wildfly<https://bugs.launchpad.net/charms/+bug/1273790>

I have blocked charms that violate the charm store policy, and initiated a
re-review process with the charm author:

#1278369 Charm Needed: metis<https://bugs.launchpad.net/charms/+bug/1278369>
#1199052 New charm: mailman <https://bugs.launchpad.net/charms/+bug/1199052>
#1260100 Create a simple subordinate swap
charm<https://bugs.launchpad.net/charms/+bug/1260100>

I am responsive in IRC with the community about questions relating to juju
and charms:

-- snippets of acknowledgements left in IRC  from the last 4 days --

<JoshStrobl> lazyPower: Thanks for your kind words and the tip on using git
(makes sense since the code is on GitHub anyways) =)

<jose> lazyPower: hey, if you're around and have a minute, looks like I
fixed the mailman charm
<lazyPower> jose: awesome :) did you move the status of your ticket to fix
committed?

<marcoceppi> jcastro: I mean, it lgtm, but get like lazyPower or someone to
ack it

 <nessita> lazyPower, marcoceppi: thanks for your help, and sorry for the
unnecesasry ping
<marcoceppi> nessita: psh, np! anytime

<zchander> lazyPower: Thanks for your help, yesterday. Sorry I had to go so
unexpectedly....

With this resume, I ask that you review my work and judge me based on the
merit of my contributions. I present myself as I am, imperfect, flawed, but
dedicated to the cause of creating a unique experience for every single
member of the juju community - building something great, and holding all
charms to the bylaws of charm store submission guidelines. To carry the
torch of charm authoring,  testing, auditing, and maintainership.

Your humble jr charmer

Chuck