Limit charmworld to only import ingest the trusty charms ?

GMail stein.myrseth at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 21:06:32 UTC 2014

See inline

Stein Myrseth
Bjørkesvingen 6J
3408 Tranby
mob: +47 909 62 763
mailto:stein.myrseth at gmail.com

On 02 Jun 2014, at 12:50, Brad Crittenden <brad.crittenden at canonical.com> wrote:

> On May 30, 2014, at 18:40 , GMail <stein.myrseth at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I’m setting up a local Charmworld sandbox with some local charms but I'm running out of disk space (the default 8GB).
>>
>> Setting the charm_import_limit to like 50 or 100, does not add my local once (added in the end ?). Increasing this number also downloads all series of charms and makes me run out of disk space.
>>
>> My main configuration goes like this:
>> $sudo bin/supervisorctl -c charmworld/jobs/supervisord.conf stop ingest
>>
>> $sudo INI=production.ini bin/ingest-queued --clear --local-repo=/home/ubuntu/trusty
>>
>> $sudo bin/supervisorctl -c charmworld/jobs/supervisord.conf start ingest
>
> Hi Stein,
>
> Can you clarify how the above three commands are being run?  The second, if run to completion, should import all of your local charms.  So, I’m unsure why you see your charms being ingested last.

I run the above commands manually after deployment, to add my local charm repo to the charmstore.

>> Questions
>> 1) Is it possible to make it load my local charms first, and then use the charm_import_limit to limit the number of charms ?
>
> When the charm starts, it will begin ingesting file.  You can prevent it from ingesting by setting the charm configuration value charm_import_limit to 0, i.e.
>
> juju set charmworld “charm_import_limit=0”
>
> Then when you run the bin/ingest-queued by handit will clear anything in the queue, and start import your local charms.  You’ll need to specify a —limit option to override the one placed in production.ini by the charm:
>
> $ sudo su charmworld -c “INI=production.ini bin/ingest-queued --limit=1 —clear —local-repo=/home/ubuntu/trusty"
>
> Since you indicated in the shared Google doc that you don’t rely on any charmstore charms, you need not restart the supervisorctl ingest process.

This seems to work. This could also be a nice way fast test my local charm, and then add some public once later by increasing the limit argument.

>> 2) Can I set a import filter to only import the Trusty charms ?
>
> You could but it would require editing the file
>
> /home/webops_deploy/charmworld/charmworld/jobs/supervisord.conf
>
> and changing

> command=bin/ingest-queued --run-forever —clear —prefix=~charmers/charms/trusty
>
> The supervisorctl job would need to be stopped and restarted.

Ok, thanks. The reason behind it was that the default disk space on a EC2 standard image 8GB is to small ingesting all charms. So I was looking for a way to narrow it down.