Noob question on environment / container OS

Gaurav Pandit pandit.gaurav at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 05:12:08 UTC 2014

I have just started reading Juju documentation and playing with local
environment with default environment.

Before I get too far (writing charms and such), I want to confirm my
understanding of some basics:

1. Is it correct to say that each machine created by juju in the
environment is basically an Ubuntu OS (most likely 14.04)?
2. If that's the case, then
  a. Does it mean that the commands executed in hooks, say, a basic bash
script that installs a particular software package, needs to be compatible
with Ubuntu OS? (e.g. use of "apt-get" and not "yum")
  b. It could be challenging to install older version of any package (say
Apache 2.2 series) that is not available in 14.04 repository. In such
cases, instead of "apt-get install", it will have to be compiled and built
after downloading the source code, and the dependencies need to be resolved
manually too - is this correct?

If this is mentioned somewhere in the documentation, please point me to it.

(Overall, the documentation is pretty good!)

Thanks!
Gaurav