Device mappings in EC2

Henning Eggers henning at keeeb.com
Mon Jul 14 14:09:46 UTC 2014

Hi,
this is a follow-up to these two:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/457282/why-do-ec2-instances-provisioned-with-juju-no-longer-include-additional-storage
https://bugs.launchpad.net/juju-core/+bug/1280852

The new m3 EC2 instances come with fast SSD instance (ephemeral) storage
volumes. To make these available, a device mapping has to be specified at
instance launch time. AFAICT there is no such option in juju.

On askubuntu Jorge suggests specifiying constraints in such a ways, that an
old instance type is selected. In the LP bug on the other hand Kapil is
calling for the complete removal of these old instance types. These two seem
to be counter-productive. ;-)

What I would need is a way to specify a device-mapping when launching a
service or maybe a machine. I don't think it would make sense to change this
on a per-unit base assuming that units are configured identically.

Is there any solution for this in the pipeline?

Thanks,
Henning