Juju on existing VM

Kapil Thangavelu kapil.thangavelu at canonical.com
Thu Jan 23 10:28:53 UTC 2014

Juju provides for manual placement so that you can place a workload on an
existing machine within an environment without provisioning a new machine..
ie juju deploy  charm --to=existing_machine   it also supports creating
containers (either lxc or kvm) to run those workloads in isolation from the
host (see juju deploy --help for more details). This is also supported for
add-unit --to=existing_machine.

If you want to setup a single machine environment with a workload and the
capacity to grow on virtual machines using manual provisioning in
conjunction with manual placement makes this use case relatively
straightforward.

configure a 'null' aka manual environment in environments.yaml pointing to
the ip address of the vm (don't use localhost but the ip address that other
machines in the environment will use). Then juju bootstrap. Then juju
deploy charm --to=0.

cheers,

Kapil