Jenkins and Jenkins-slave charms

Nick Veitch nick.veitch at canonical.com
Mon Jan 20 19:18:21 UTC 2014

Hi Steve,
I managed to give the Juju hook debugging page a bit of an overhaul. I
think there were several key things that were tripping people up:
1. You need to manually execute the hook to get it to run.
2. You need to exit nicely to make Juju carry on with other queued
events on that unit.
3. The shell environment is a customised byobu/tmux session.
I think all of these are addressed in the docs now, including a sort
of quickstart to tmux.
The docs page is at https://juju.ubuntu.com/docs/authors-hook-debug.html

I have also filed a bug - I think it would be a good idea if the
debug-hooks shell started up with a message making the user aware of
some of these things:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/juju-core/+bug/1270856

As for juju debug-log, I have added a section for that:
https://juju.ubuntu.com/docs/authors-hook-debug.html#debuglogcommand

The syntax of the command was chosen to mirror that of 'tail', but
that isn't well explained in the command help. I have filed a bug for
that also:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/juju-core/+bug/1270923
I aim to fix it tomorrow but it will be a while before it filters
through to a release. I hope the docs examples are helpful enough in
the meantime.

Do let me know if you have any other issues with docs. It is great to
get feedback from real users!

Nick