AWS Request Rate

David Britton david.britton at canonical.com
Thu Feb 20 15:02:43 UTC 2014

Hi Juju Folks --

I've been getting this from time to time:

  "2":
      agent-state-info: '(error: cannot set up groups: Request limit exceeded. (RequestLimitExceeded))'
      instance-id: pending
      series: precise

Which lead me to this:

  http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/APIReference/api-error-codes.html

Which says this:

  Amazon EC2 API requests are throttled to help maintain the performance
  of the service. If your requests have been throttled, you'll get the
  following error: Client.RequestLimitExceeded. For more information, see
  Query API Request Rate in the Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud User Guide.

Some questions:

1) Is there something I can do to prevent this?  I'm deploying a stack
with juju-deployer.

2) When it happens, it seems that juju is dead in the water on that
operation (in this case launching an instnace).  Should it instead
throttle back and keep trying?  I have to terminate-machine,
destroy-service, and re-run deployer (which thankfully picks up where it
left off).  Is that expected behavior for the juju system?

3) This is a shared Amazon account, is this requestLimit across all of
the people that have api credentials, or just me?

Thanks!

--
David Britton <david.britton at canonical.com>