Juju Plugins

Joshua Strobl truthfromlies at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 12:31:01 UTC 2014

Have multiple repositories for the plugins is just unnecessary
fragmentation (at least at this point). If someone wants to maintain
their own plugins, they can easily fork the project, add their plugin
(setting their fork as master and the juju/plugins as upstream) and
simply do a pull request to get it merged the plugin merged.

In terms of having an index to "register" plugins, you could argue that
the GitHub repo is for that, given the person "registers" the plugin by
a pull request and having it be accepted upstream (juju/plugins).

I can agree that we should have some sort of webpage (at
jujuplugins.com) that lists the plugins (as well as their description,
required and optional commands or arguments, etc), but that isn't needed
at this point and we should only cross that bridge when we really need
to. (It should be noted that the page can still leverage GitHub via
their APIs, so we won't have to manually add plugins to the site.)

> Sublime Text and Homebrew (if I remember right) does that.

I think you are referring to https://sublime.wbond.net/, which is an
unofficial repository of Sublime Text plugins, and while I totally
understand your point about having the multi-repo in the case of Sublime
Text plugins (and it absolutely makes sense in that environment), it
should be noted that it isn't possible to accomplish having all of a
Sublime Text plugin within a single file (from my not-so-immense
understanding of SL plugin dev), unlike Juju Plugins where it is simply
something written in a single bash script, so for Sublime Text plugins
it is more of a necessity, unless you want to do something like
DefinitelyTyped - https://github.com/borisyankov/DefinitelyTyped - where
they divide each definition, in our case plugin, into a separate folder.

But yea, I agree 100% about utilizing jujuplugins.com EVENTUALLY, where
we do disagree on is how we should keep Juju Plugins organized and
reduce fragmentation (while trying to ensure the plugins remain
up-to-date) as much as possible.

- Joshua Strobl