nova-volume charm in Trusty

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 19:22:58 UTC 2014

I'm working on getting MAAS/JuJu going to manage a small Openstack
deployment on Trusty.

Right now I'm going through
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuCloudInfrastructure to get off the
ground.

It's worked fairly well (modulo some tweaks for my particular setup) up
until the point that I'm actually installing the openstack components. It
seems that there is no nova-volume charm that has been validated for
Trusty. I've imported the Precise charm into a local charm repo and run it,
which predictably has failed.

My "juju status nova-volume" returns:

machines:
  "6":
    agent-state: started
    agent-version: 1.18.1
    dns-name: qpx6p.maas
    instance-id:
/MAAS/api/1.0/nodes/node-82bede16-cb05-11e3-9d05-10feed07ffc3/
    series: trusty
services:
  nova-volume:
    charm: local:trusty/nova-volume-17
    exposed: false
    units:
      nova-volume/0:
        agent-state: error
        agent-state-info: 'hook failed: "install"'
        agent-version: 1.18.1
        machine: "6"
        public-address: qpx6p.maas

I'm not super familiar with the whole architecture yet, but looking in the
logs it's complaining that the nova-volume service doesn't exist (from
unit-nova-volume-0.log):

2014-04-23 17:56:32 INFO install nova-volume: unrecognized service
2014-04-23 17:56:32 INFO juju-log nova-volume ERROR: Unexpected status of
service nova-volume:
2014-04-23 17:56:32 ERROR juju.worker.uniter uniter.go:486 hook failed:
exit status 1

Looking at how Icehouse seems to be built, that would be expected.

I'll be continuing to dig into this and post findings on this thread. I'm
not sure how much I'll end up fighting with this though. I intend to use
ceph on this cluster for storage, so if the nova-volume pieces aren't
required in my deployment I may change gears and work on getting that going
instead. Still learning, so direction is unclear.

If nothing else though, I hope this proves to be a useful data point for
someone else to run with. If I can provide additional information that
might be useful, please let me know. And thanks in advance for any
direction / input / whatever you all might be able to contribute to getting
this going.

QH