A great example of a high quality charm submission

Charles Butler charles.butler at canonical.com
Tue Apr 15 23:36:17 UTC 2014

Greetings charmers!

As some of you may have experienced a lengthy back and forth during the
review cycle, I'd like to highlight a high quality charm submission that
really resonated with me.

The review process was extensive, and my delta on comments was really just
a knitpick. Have a look at the newly promulgated tomcat charm:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/charms/+bug/1295710

The components of this charm that really resonated with me during the
review process:

   - Its got a very thorough README that covers the charm in great detail
   - *It contains tests!!*
   - Its opinionated
   - Its flexible (allows for tomcat6, or tomcat7 deployments, and adapts
   respectively in its opinionated tuning)
   - Its easy to follow the hook source as to what its doing

I encourage new charm writers to take a look at this charm, and ingest what
the author Matt Bruzek did when writing this charm. Its a great example of
a high quality submission. I hope this helps others that are just starting
to toe the waters of writing a Juju Charm.

Thanks for you time, and all the best.

Charles