Juju charms and some kind of cache

Sebastian sebas5384 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 22:44:54 UTC 2014

I'm woking with Docker now too, and one of the advantages is the images,
which are used to deploy the containers.
In the Juju ecosystem, docker images are like charms, but the difference is
that for each deployed charm, it haves to run all the download and install
staff, taking again all that time and machine effort to deploy the same
kind of charm.

Maybe I'm just tripping, but I imagine a feature Juju ecosystem based in
Docker, check this out:

*Charms = Images*: Where you have Docker files, each step of the build can
be cached, and creates automatically a commit.

*Charm units = Docker containers*.

*Charms relations = Link containers*:
http://docs.docker.io/en/latest/use/working_with_links_names and
http://docs.docker.io/en/latest/use/ambassador_pattern_linking
It's not the same, but! it's nice to that Docker know about link services.

*Exposing ports*: http://docs.docker.io/en/latest/use/port_redirection

*Reusing data volumes*:
http://docs.docker.io/en/latest/use/working_with_volumes

*Spawning services into the container*:
http://docs.docker.io/en/latest/examples/using_supervisord

*Docker haves a nice API*: http://docs.docker.io/en/latest/reference/api

*Charm hooks = ?*: Docker doesn't haves that, instead is expecting
something like Puppet or Ansible.

and of course there's more where Juju and Docker can work.

My ideia, is making Juju work *with* Docker, and not in parallel, or into a
deployed charm.
I'm from the Drupal and PHP community and one of the best things just
happened is the adoption of Symfony to build Drupal features on top. Now we
are *Drupal+Symfony* communities working together to bring the best things
of each one, for example, the charms hooks into docker containers.

So, thats it for now, if someone is interested in this topic, please!! lets
talk :D

cheers!