Best practices for "fat" charms

Jorge O. Castro jorge at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 1 19:07:09 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

Matt Bruzek and I have been doing some charm testing on a machine that
does not have general access to the internet. So charms that pull from
PPAs, github, etc. do not work.

We've been able to "fatten" the charms by doing things like creating a
/files directory in the charm itself and putting the
package/tarball/jar file in there, and given the networking issues
that we might face in production environments that we should start
thinking about best practices for having charms with payloads instead
of pulling from a network source.

Marco has some ideas on how we can generalize this and he will respond
to this thread.

--
Jorge Castro
Canonical Ltd.