Sharing a DB user password among units of the app

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo at niemeyer.net
Wed Oct 30 15:58:22 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 7:50 AM, Marco Ceppi <marco at ondina.co> wrote:
> You can't make that assumption and we really frown upon it in charm reviews.
> I've seen cases where `juju deploy -n 5 service` results in unit 2 or really
> unit > 0 being first up. There's also scenarios where there might not
> actually be a "unit 0" there's no way to safely guarentee a leader right
> now.

As I said, we can do better, and I've already published a spec for the
"leader election" feature. That's not a reason for not starting with
something both plausible and reasonable right now, though. It doesn't
matter which unit comes first; unit/0 is still unit/0. If unit/0
doesn't come up, it won't work, so don't do that. The fix is already
specified and is easy to implement.

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net