juju-local bootstrap: connection refused

Tim Penhey tim.penhey at canonical.com
Fri Oct 25 15:57:58 UTC 2013

On 25/10/13 01:17, Peter Waller wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm on Ubuntu 12.04.3 with the juju stable repository and trying to
> experiment with juju locally. I can't seem to get past the bootstrap though.
>
> I've followed the instructions here:
>
> https://juju.ubuntu.com/docs/config-local.html
>
> But when I get to the `juju bootstrap` I get this:
>
> ERROR Get http://10.0.3.1:8040/provider-state: dial tcp 10.0.3.1:8040
> <http://10.0.3.1:8040>: connection refused
>
> Any hints? I've looked for services I can start but can't find anything
> I'm obviously missing. I have an encrypted home directory but I made a
> non-encrypted directory at /data/$(whoami)/juju-test/ and set
> JUJU_HOME=/data/$(whoami)/juju-test
>
> I have also disabled ufw to no avail.

I'm assuming that you are actually running 'sudo juju bootstrap'.

Currently, lxc requires us to use root to start the machine agent.
Normally sudo doesn't pass through the environment of the user running
the command.

You can go 'sudo -E juju bootstrap' to preserve the environment.

Alternatively, you can specify the 'root-dir' in the environment.yaml.

Also, to really debug it we'd need the logs, so run bootstrap with
'--debug' to get a log dump for us.

We have observed mongodb taking an extremely long time to start for some
people, and I have no idea why this is the case, and this triggers a
timeout, but I don't think this is what you are getting.

Cheers,
Tim