How do I launch and m1.medium on AWS?

William Reade william.reade at canonical.com
Thu Oct 10 16:07:53 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 4:55 PM, Sidnei da Silva <
sidnei.da.silva at canonical.com> wrote:

> Yes, I like this. I also like the idea that we might provide a
>> "reference mapping" that at least describes all the certified public
>> clouds, and which can be overridden for an environment or for a user's
>> personal defaults. This would make it a lot easier to publish bundles
>> which encode "size" logic and have them Just Work everywhere. How about
>> we take baby steps in that direction?
>

> At that point we could store the mapping alongside with the
> 'simplestreams' metadata which describes what's the latest available Ubuntu
> image, IIUC. If so, sounds like an excellent idea.

Depends on the cloud really. For EC2, we're planning to put instance-type
data into simplestreams (ec2 doesn't publish it usefully, and hardcoding it
as we do today just sucks); for arbitrary openstack deployments, it would
be crazy to use anything other than the flavor lists supplied by the
provider itself.

The core distinction is between possible meanings of "provider"; the
original juju meaning of "provider" ("openstack", "maas") cannot possibly
work, but if you take a "provider" to mean a specific site it becomes
simple. For now, we can use "instance-type" without fear of ambiguity,
because all environments are single-site; if we're using several, we'll
have to disambiguate constraints with "site:" (and ofc allow per-site
values: ec2:type=t1.micro, canonistack:type=m1.small), but I don't think
that's any reason to complicate the syntax before it's required. (By
checking instance-type early, as Gustavo mentioned, we can provide clear
feedback for the cases where someone tries to use an inappropriate value
for a given provider.)

Cheers
William