How do I launch and m1.medium on AWS?

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com
Thu Oct 10 13:18:51 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 8:31 AM, John Arbash Meinel
<john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:
> We've gone around that discussion a *lot* about how you specify a
> value that is site-specific. Do you need a site-specific key?
(...)
> We talked about supporting a potential list and we just pick out which
> one might fit, but Canonistack and EC2 both define an "m1.tiny" that
> may or may not match well enough (and we don't provide a way to be
> more specific without just site specific meaning).

We can perhaps get away with a simple mechanism: we define a generic
"instance-type" constraint. If the name of that constraint matches
exactly something that is available in the API endpoint being used
(not just provider type, since we can have multiple API endpoints with
the same provider type yet different machine types), we use it. If it
does not match any, the script errors out so we can catch typos and
actual errors. In a second moment, we can provide a mechanism for
people to provide their own custom mappings tied to their environment
("in this environment t1.micro means 1 CPU and 512MB of memory").

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net