docker hype and juju's future

Ramez Hanna rhanna at informatiq.org
Thu Nov 21 08:43:40 UTC 2013

Hi,

this is a quick braindump of my thoughts related to docker lxc and juju

There is quite hype around docker these days, which I am not grasping yet
docker gives tools to create an "image" of a service (basically an os tree
with a specific service installed) and deploy it to any docker server
ensuring it will run exactly the same way everywhere !!!
I am not so fond of the "image" concept in general as it introduces so many
complexities for maintenance (maybe i am wrong but i cannot stop thinking
about running maintenance as opposed to the throw away instances)

so in short golden image is not good, containerization is really nice
concept (I have been a user and a fan of lxc for long)

now what about juju, i beleive juju is the real answer, whether we talk
throw away instances or rolling instances
juju does build the service every time you deploy it, with integration of
tools like the puppet or ansible, it gains so much flexibility

I am sure it is on the roadmap to containerize services on the juju
deployed services

my idea related to the containerization is simple, although not sure about
implementation yet
the container should not contain a full-os tree but rather mount read-only
the OS and in a spereate tree or a fs layer put the actual service
thus one OS to maintain, and service is containerized

please feel free to contradict me or support me
would be great if we can take this discussion to a more concrete product
feature (not necesarily implemenmted in the near futrure)

--
BR
RH