[ALPHA but useful] juju quickstart plugin v 0.2

Jorge O. Castro jorge at ubuntu.com
Fri Nov 1 16:39:59 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 9:44 PM, Gary Poster <gary.poster at canonical.com> wrote:
> Assuming you have Juju (juju-core) installed, now you can run ``juju
> quickstart --help`` and learn what features are available today.

Hey so this is really great. I've started filing bugs here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/juju-quickstart/+bugs

I like how it gives you a step by step of what's going on. For those
of you who haven't seen it yet, it looks like this:

jorge at jilldactyl:~/src/bundles/wordpress$ juju-quickstart bundles.yaml
juju quickstart v0.2.0
bootstrapping the amazon environment (type: ec2)
retrieving the Juju API address
connecting to wss://ec2-54-204-142-198.compute-1.amazonaws.com:17070
requesting Juju GUI deployment
Juju GUI deployment request accepted
juju-gui/0 deployment is pending
installing juju-gui/0 on ec2-54-204-142-198.compute-1.amazonaws.com
juju-gui/0 is installed
juju-gui/0 is ready
url: https://ec2-54-204-142-198.compute-1.amazonaws.com
password: juju-skjdhfkjsahflwqeurfsad
deploying the bundle wordpress-simple with the following services:
wordpress, mysql
done!

I love this, and wish core was more descriptive when it was doing
things. I also like that you've conveniently put the GUI password
there for me instead of making me dig through environments.yaml. And
lastly, autolaunching the GUI in a new browser tab is a nice touch.
For those wondering Gary tells me that soon quickstart will pass the
password to the gui so it'll be more automatic.

The bootstrap/GUI install is very fast too, I forsee myself already
moving to using quickstart in lieu of plain bootstrap.

--
Jorge Castro
Canonical Ltd.