Charm Ecosystem Status for 29 May
Jorge O. Castro
jorge at ubuntu.com
Wed May 29 17:22:21 UTC 2013
Here's your weekly update! Rendered version here:
- [Video recording](http://youtu.be/mQT25UVtLjk)
- [Status Board](https://trello.com/board/charmers-board/4ec1696da3f94bd2ea5b2b01)
- [Juju.u.c Meeting
## Charm Tools
- No updates this week, some fixes, nothing major.
- More work end of this week and next week.
## Charm Helpers
- First cut merge is in lp:charm-helpers.
- Wedgewood has been doing a bunch of work organizing this.
- Generic frontend and python library access too.
- Mims: Can we bootstrap chef/puppet folks with charm helpers?
- Marco: we're really low level right now, so not yet, but eventually.
- People want pre-install hooks.
- Mims, how about something like metadata in charm helpers for
things like "Install these packages" and so on.
-Also putting some thoughts around how any language can take advantage
of of libraries in specific language.
-One idea is to provide a defined cli on how charms can shell out.
- No packaging or PPA yet.
- Released first cut of juju-test-plugin, in the juju-plugins repo on Launchpad.
- Drop in replacement for jitsu-test.
- Find marco before you venture here (*explosion sounds*)
- Marco to announce testing harness this week/early next week for consumption.
- newdocs almost ready for testing. This FRIDAY! \o/
- end user docs, we haven't started on the "how to write a charm" stuff.
- Where will we host them?
- We need to do Redirects, we can't bust our URLs; marco to investigate.
- Reconvene on Friday to make a call?
- old-docs now generating (thanks IS!) - just in time for newdocs to launch. :)
## Review any blockers on Trello
- We need pyju .7 and goju in 12.04 - Jorge driving this. Filed a bug
- Mims/mgz to apply for PPU for Juju in distro.
- Marco - please don't forget charm-tools, needs to be there too!
## Review any highlights on Trello
- analytics fixed on juju.u.c
-CharmTesting: Create juju-test runner landed
## Charm Framework Updates
- node.js - use more community common practices. Still nebulous at
this point, Jeff is still learning the charm
- Mims showed some people at gluecon and got some ideas.
- We'll walk through this at charmschool this Friday, how to do a
node thing from scratch as part 2 of writing a charm.
- Gluecon rocked
- mapr and storm are cool, Mims wants to charm them, along with
swaths of the netflix infrastructure as a proof of concept.
- Strata NY - submitted. London pending still.
- Texas Linux Fest this Friday/Saturday
- Charm School page updated with upcoming events.
- The discourse charm works! [http://126.96.36.199/](http://188.8.131.52/)
More information about the Juju