What would you like to see in the virtual Charm School hangouts?

Kapil Thangavelu kapil.thangavelu at canonical.com
Tue May 28 12:37:26 UTC 2013

On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 11:02 AM, Mark Canonical Ramm-Christensen <
mark.ramm-christensen at canonical.com> wrote:

> There are multiple inter-related issues that are being discussed here:
>
> * making it easier to write charms in Ruby or PHP when those languages are
> not available in the cloud image by default.
>
> * making it easier to support charms on private clouds that block outgoing
> network access (egress filtering)
>
> * making add-unit work more quickly to handle traffic spikes

I brought it up in this thread because of the first use case.  We do have
> to work on item 2 this cycle at least a little bit (but the current plan
> was to put this into charm tools as a helper which knows how to cache
> dependencies).  And I think item three might be premature optimization.

I don't think # 3 is characterized properly. I'd restate as Given murphy's
law, a third party network resource will be down or disappeared when adding
a unit. If #2 is doing cross-unit caching that's potentially a solution for
#3, but my understanding was it was primarily going to be proxy config and
egress traffic config.

> So, what's on the table is figuring out if the idea has merit and if it
> solves case 1 relatively easily, and if it puts us in a better or worse
> position via items 2 and 3.
>
> Then we can easily prioritize it up or down, or put it out there with a
> patches accepted label.
>
> Regardless of what we decide, I wholeheartedly agree that discussion will
> only have value if we record the results.

Sounds good.

cheers,

Kapil