Questions about Juju features

Clint Byrum clint at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 14 21:22:03 UTC 2013

Excerpts from Hongbin Lu's message of 2013-03-14 08:44:29 -0700:
> Hi.
>
> I am looking for deployment tool for cloud and Juju is on my list. May I
> ask several questions to decide if Juju matches what we need.
>
> 1. Does Juju support Hybrid cloud deployment. For example, I want my app to
> be deployed on EC2, and database deploy on private cloud(e.g. OpenStack).
> Is that possible to do that with Juju.

Cross environment relationships is on the "everybody wants this done
yesterday" TODO list. I suspect it will support your use case.

> 2. Does Juju support deploy collection
> of principal(non-subordinate) services to one instance. For example, in
> some case, I want my tomcat server and DBMS to be deployed on a signal EC2
> instance.

Instance density is on the "everybody wants this done a year ago"
TODO list. :) There is agreement that it is needed, and it exists in
hackery-form for the python version in juju-jitsu (see: jitsu deploy-to).

> 3. Does Juju provide any API besides CLI. Any restful/soap API exists? Or
> any language-specific API exists?

The (deprecated) python version has a REST API which the Juju GUI
uses. juju-core will in theory have one "real soon now" but probably
not until after 2.0 is released.