VCS code duplication and subordinate

Sidnei da Silva sidnei.da.silva at canonical.com
Mon Mar 11 18:14:52 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 3:01 PM, Patrick Hetu <patrick.hetu at gmail.com>wrote:

> > Sure, but how will it make sure that the service is restarted when new
> content is found?
>
> In the python-django charm I'm using a timestamp variable (an idea
> from someone on IRC) that triggers the reloading of the wsgi server
> when configuration change.
>
> See:
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~charmers/charms/precise/python-django/trunk/view/head:/hooks/config-changed#L133
>
> > It's also possible to add this to a standard library of charm tools,
> rather than do it in a subordinate.
>
> I was thinking about one subordinate charm per vcs because I didn't
> wanted to install all vcs
> when I'm just using one of them. But that's a minor issue.
>
> > This might be a good time to mention there's a VCS Charm Helper
>
> Yeah, extending and using those helpers would the solve the
> dependencies problem.
>
> I'm also copying those helpers too in all my new charms to avoid repetition
> and I just realized they are pretty much all in charm-tools. Maybe we
> could split
> the python version of those helpers in a python-charm-tools package an
> make them importable
> python code?
>

> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~charmers/charms/precise/postgresql/trunk/view/head:/hooks/hooks.py
>  (first half of the file)
>
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~charmers/charms/precise/postgresql/trunk/view/head:/hooks/helpers.py
>
> Patrick

That would be really helpful. We're collecting some things over at
https://code.launchpad.net/~charmsupport/charmsupport/trunk but it's
currently a chicken-and-egg problem because you need to have charmsupport
installed before it can be used, so as a short-term measure we included a
copy of it when deploying a charm.

I think it's about time someone steps up and solves this problem before yet
another person comes up with their own library doing the same thing.

--
Sidnei

Make the most of Ubuntu with Ubuntu One
http://one.ubuntu.com