VCS code duplication and subordinate

Marius Kotsbak marius at kotsbak.com
Sun Mar 10 20:34:37 UTC 2013

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~charmers/charms/precise/node-app/trunk/view/head:/hooks/install#L28

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~charmers/charms/precise/rack/trunk/view/head:/hooks/install#L38

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~charmers/charms/precise/python-django/trunk/view/head:/hooks/install#L36

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/juju/+spec/juju-charm-app-git-deployment

> So, I was thinking that we could create one subordinate charm per VCS to:
>
> 1) Reduce the installation time
> 2) Ease the maintenance
> 3) Include more advance stuff like branches, authentification, etc
>
> What do you think?

Good idea. Also see my branch with more SCM for node.js. How do you think
it should be done? We need some relation to somehow tell the app charm that
new content is available. The problem is that relations only work inside
hooks, so my cron based polling won't be able to signal new content through
the relation.

Marius