Juju on a Raspberry pi

Matthew Williams matthew.williams at canonical.com
Fri Jun 14 16:04:51 UTC 2013

Hi Folks,

I got bored the other night and wondered how far I could get installing
juju on a raspberry pi. I thought it might be useful to share my progress,
and also get some answers to questions I have:

Using Juju 1.10.0

I built this using the tgz on the juju-core downloads page (although it
appears the lpad dependency is missing). I had to do the build in stages:

go build launchpad.net/juju-core/cmd/juju
go build launchpad.net/juju-core/cmd/jujud
go build launchpad.net/juju-core/cmd/builddb
go build launchpad.net/juju-core/cmd/charmd
go build launchpad.net/juju-core/cmd/charmtool

Trying to do it in one lump (go build lp.net/juju-core/...) always seg
faulted, I set the memory split for 240M CPU and 16M GPU and had a tmpfs 1G
but still could only build by doing it in stages.

Once it was built juju bootstrap resulted in
error: no matching tools available
Q: I'm guessing this is because it can't find a juju-10.0-unknown-arm
version of juju to install onto the bootstrap node?

juju bootstrap --upload-tools
error: cannot start bootstrap instance: no "precise" images in us-east-1
with arches [arm]
Q: This is because it needs to find an arm image to start up - and it
doesn't look like aws have any?

Using tip I had more success:

just doing go get launchpad.net/juju-core/... I was able to get juju built
without having to mess around with memory setting or increasing tmpfs.
Q: Could this be down to goyaml not depending on the c libraries anymore?

When I run juju bootstrap --upload-tools I get the same error us with
1.10.0 - as I said before I guess this is because aws doesn't have arm
images of ubuntu?

I was able to get as far as running a bootstrap node when just doing juju
bootstrap on tip. My bootstrap node was an instance of ami-e7582d8e
(precise amd64) However when I do juju deploy wordpress (you have to start
somewhere) the command returns and I see a new machine pending, but an
instance never starts.

Q: Is this likely to be an issue with tip juju communicating with a
bootstrap agent running 1.11.0?

Here's a paste that shows the different versions using tip and a machine
that stays in pending

http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/5765093/

I understand that juju wasn't really designed with the raspberry pi in
mind, but I thought it would be a fun little exercise (and it was) - plus
it looks like we're almost there anyway??

Thanks

Matt