Is public-bucket-url used for both tools and streams?

Ian Booth ian.booth at canonical.com
Wed Jul 31 21:47:18 UTC 2013

Hi Andreas

The juju-tools endpoint in the keystone catalog is used as the so called
public-bucket-url. You are now overriding that with the environment config
setting. Juju looks to find tools in the public bucket. As you have found, there
is a set of places that Juju looks at when deciding what the public bucket is,
and when the bucket URL is determined, that is what is used for everything.

So you need to upload tools to your alternative public bucket, either via:

1. the --upload-tools option to bootstrap if you are running from source
2. using the sync-tools command if you have installed the PPA

Note that only Openstack ever supported the use of default-image-id. If you
wanted a custom image when using EC2, you were out of luck. default-image-id
provides ways for the user to shoot themselves in the foot. With the use of
simplestreams metadata, there will be a uniform way for any cloud type to use a
custom image. We are working on improving the tooling so this becomes easier.
There's also discussion around using constraints to allow specific images and
instance types (aka flavors in Openstack) to be used.