Charm Ecosystem Status for 31 July

Jorge O. Castro jorge at ubuntu.com
Wed Jul 31 16:49:45 UTC 2013

Rendered version here:
http://www.jorgecastro.org/2013/07/31/juju-ecosystem-status-for-31-july/

## General Info:

- [Pad](http://pad.ubuntu.com/7mf2jvKXNa)
- [Status Board](https://trello.com/board/charmers-board/4ec1696da3f94bd2ea5b2b01)
- [Juju.u.c Meeting
Site](https://juju.ubuntu.com/community/weekly-charm-meeting/)
- [Youtube Video](YouTube Video: http://youtu.be/sfKrFR_kpyg)

## Highlights

 - OSCON
 - new juju-gui which can be seen at jujucharms.com
 - manage.jujucharms.com has the review queue and charmer tools
 - local provider
 - "--to" "--constraints" (reminder)
  - [James Page's blog
post](http://javacruft.wordpress.com/2013/07/25/juju-put-it-there-please/)
  - We'd like this fixed for the local story in 12.04: [Bug
1203795](https://bugs.launchpad.net/juju-core/+bug/1203795)
 - amulet
 - juju-core release should be happening this week. Should also be the
first homebrew "release."

## Tools/Helpers/Testing

### Amulet

 - 1.0 release this week
   - Deep deployer integration
   - Improved ability to inspect services, units, and relations in depth

### Tools

 - No new changes released

### Helpers

 - Minor bug fixes
 - Password generator helper added

## Docs

- We should add docs for `--to`
- New walkthrough of the charm author section, much easier to follow.
- 2 bugs:
  - Charm Author maintenance, how to monitor bugs
  - Make subordinate information better

## Charm updates

 - http://manage.jujucharms.com/recently-changed

## Events

- OSCON done!
- Submissions to ODS done
- RubyConf is our last submission for the year!

## Charm Championship!!! \o/

 - http://juju.ubuntu.com/charm-championship

## GOALS

 - [jorge] Blog about --to: TODO
 - [jorge] Ask Forum moderators to put Juju/Cloud section on the front
page: TODO
 - [arosales] scaling video: DONE
   - http://youtu.be/qLN-yq9huPs
 - [marco] upgrades video (I missed another week): INPROGRESS
 - [pavel] email list on continuous deployment story using Rails charm: DONE,
   - [arosales, marco] To get feedback to pavel: TODO
 - [evilnick] Charm Author docs structure: INPROGRESS
 - [marco] Changes to charm-tools update: DONE
 - [marco] amulet completed deployer integration (1st iteration): DONE
 - [marco] amulet sentry integration: INPROGRESS
 - [nick] Update AWS getting started docs: DONE
 - [nick] Add local provider getting started docs: TODO
 - [pavel] nagios, logstash, memcached Rails charm integration: DONE
 - [pavel] Work on amulet integration testing: TODO
 - [pavel] Start investigating how to do backup in Rails: TODO
   - in github branch atm.

--
Jorge Castro
Canonical Ltd.