Juju with Devstack on Virtualbox

Martin Packman martin.packman at canonical.com
Wed Jan 23 17:59:29 UTC 2013

On 19/01/2013, Lee Tobin <leetobin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to Juju, it looks great however could someone please help?

Note that the normal way to experiment with Juju on your own box is to
use the local provider:

<http://askubuntu.com/questions/65359/how-do-i-configure-juju-for-local-usage>

If you want to test Juju on Openstack you really need a number of
machines, so getting an account on the HP Cloud is one of the easiest

<https://www.hpcloud.com/>

I doubt anyone else has tried running Juju against devstack in a VM,
so even if you get your Openstack deployment fixed, you may still find
you can't do much with it.

> So, I've created 2 VMs in Virtualbox, a Juju box and a Devstack box. Single
> node Devstack box with swift running.

It's really helpful when reporting problems to be explicit about what
exactly you're using, what version of Ubuntu, what version of
Openstack set up how, what version of Juju, and so on.

The first confusing thing is you're using the EC2 provider rather than
the native Openstack one, but have a bunch of extra config options in
your environments.yaml that don't actually apply. If you switch,
running `juju -v bootstrap` gives details about the underlying
Openstack api calls and their responses, which can be useful for
diagnosing problems.

Unmangled from your log, the most relevent exception seems indicate
your openstack deployment is slightly misconfigured:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/stack/nova/nova/compute/manager.py", line 688, in _run_instance
    injected_files, admin_password)
  File "/opt/stack/nova/nova/compute/manager.py", line 960, in _spawn
    block_device_info)
  File "/opt/stack/nova/nova/virt/libvirt/driver.py", line 1039, in spawn
    block_device_info)
  File "/opt/stack/nova/nova/virt/libvirt/driver.py", line 1952, in
_create_domain_and_network
    self.firewall_driver.prepare_instance_filter(instance, network_info)
  File "/opt/stack/nova/nova/virt/firewall.py", line 188, in
prepare_instance_filter
    ipv4_rules, ipv6_rules = self.instance_rules(instance, network_info)
  File "/opt/stack/nova/nova/virt/firewall.py", line 403, in instance_rules
    instance)
  File "/opt/stack/nova/nova/network/api.py", line 253, in get_instance_nw_info
    result = self._get_instance_nw_info(context, instance)
  File "/opt/stack/nova/nova/network/api.py", line 263, in _get_instance_nw_info
    'rxtx_factor': instance['instance_type']['rxtx_factor'],
TypeError: string indices must be integers

You could try working out how your 'instance_type' ended up being a
string rather than a dict, but as mentioned at the start, you probably
just want to use something other than a local devstack for playing
with juju.

Martin