Investigation workflow improvements with other tools

Robbie Williamson robbie at ubuntu.com
Wed Jan 9 21:21:36 UTC 2013

So I appreciate the goal of this discussion and I also agree we should
not alienate github users, but the current approach seems to be working
fine, imo.  Is there really a *huge* deviation from the github process
versus the lp one...or is this just another opensource
ideology/vim-vs-emacs-type discussion?

I recognize git/github is "where it's at", but I don't think a switch is
worth the cost of having to migrate all the currently tracked bugs, as
well as change juju to pull from github instead of lp.  Also, this move
would affect the ability for someone to authenticate themselves as
trusted juju user/charmer via existing identities in LP, thus breaking
plans to allow more charmstore interaction by users and charmers via the
'juju' cli.

The real issue seems to be LP not supporting 'git', and this is
something the Canonical LP team has looked into and even made plans for
implementing, but just hasn't had the bandwidth to get started on.
Given launchpad is opensource, I think a focus on helping with this
effort would do much more for both juju *and* Ubuntu, than pushing
charms to github.

-Robbie