Charm tools for Python

Diogo Baeder diogo.baeder at canonical.com
Tue Feb 5 21:04:32 UTC 2013

Hi folks!

I'm new on the list, so pardon me if I speak something that doesn't make
sense considering what has been discussed here before.

Me and Sidnei (sidnei) have been working on some charms (mostly in
Python) for usage with Ubuntu One servers, and we started to feel the
need for having some base code to help us with common tasks between
different charms, and we've stumbled these projects:
https://launchpad.net/charmsupport - which is maintained by Matthew
Wedgwood (mew) and some other people, it seems, and was created to be a
more higher-level set of tools to build charms;
https://launchpad.net/charm-tools - which contains the Python
charmhelpers package, which seem to be more lower-level tools, but also
used more broadly and are referenced by the Juju documentation.

So, wouldn't it be better if we joined the efforts of both these tools
into a more robust and complete set of tools? Matthew mentioned he'd
like to have some sort of framework to work with charms, and I think it
makes sense - to me it would be perfect if we had a framework, which
contained some core tools, and if these tools could be used stand-alone -.

Also, something else that would be interesting, IMO, is to publish this
joined effort in PyPI - so that people can use these tools in a virtual
environment, or if they simply want to get them from the cheeseshop
instead of Launchpad -.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Diogo