Declarative Juju

Kapil Thangavelu kapil.thangavelu at canonical.com
Mon Feb 4 20:25:25 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 1:41 PM, Bruno Girin <brunogirin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 04/02/13 19:03, Clint Byrum wrote:
> > Excerpts from Bruno Girin's message of 2013-02-04 05:14:30 -0800:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> At FOSDEM over the weekend, Kevin Krammer presented several uses of QML,
> >> including some non-UI ones. In particular, he talked about QBS
> >> (pronounced "cubes") [1] which is a declarative build system like make
> >> using QML to describe the different targets: so in practice CMake with
> >> QML syntax and with QML's ability to bind properties and use JavaScript.
> >> Other benefits are that the QML engine already exists and that
> >> developers who know QML need very little time to get up to speed.
> >>
> >> Is this something that would make sense in order to implement
> >> declarative charm support?
> >>
> > My idea for implementing it was discussed at UDS-R, I thought maybe you
> > were even in that discussion:
> >

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/servercloud-r-juju-charmhelper2
> >
> > I think the idea stalled as I've changed jobs and haven't had much time
> > for Juju things.
>
> Yes I remember that discussion but I didn't know where declarative
> support had gone to and seeing Kevin's presentation over the weekend, I
> thought QML could be a good way to implement the declarative description.
>

> >> Beyond this, I was also wondering if there were any plans to create a
> >> client side version of a charm (we could call it an enchantment) that
> >> would define what charms to run and how to link them together in order
> >> to create an environment, so for example a way to say: in order to bring
> >> up my test environment, install wordpress, install mysql, link wordpress
> >> to mysql, populate mysql with test data. You can of course do this
> >> easily with a simple shell script but making this declarative too would
> >> make it easier for complex topologies and would be environment
> >> independent so you could use the same "enchantment" file whether you
> >> were running the Juju client in Ubuntu, Mac OS-X, Windows (should there
> >> ever be one of those!) or as a Jenkins plugin.
> > What you're talking about has been discussed quite a bit as "stacks".
>
> Yes. I wasn't aware of the "stacks" discussions. I am now :-)
>
> Bruno

There's a form of declarative environment creation in jitsu import/export
which serializes an enviornment/services/relation/constraints/unit count to
a json file. I tend to distinguish it from the stacks discussion as
import/export focused (ie. stacks would be part of the export), where as
stacks would be first class entities.

cheers,

Kapil