Declarative Juju

William Reade william.reade at canonical.com
Mon Feb 4 16:15:33 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-02-04 at 13:14 +0000, Bruno Girin wrote:
> Beyond this, I was also wondering if there were any plans to create a
> client side version of a charm (we could call it an enchantment) that
> would define what charms to run and how to link them together in order
> to create an environment, so for example a way to say: in order to bring
> up my test environment, install wordpress, install mysql, link wordpress
> to mysql, populate mysql with test data. You can of course do this
> easily with a simple shell script but making this declarative too would
> make it easier for complex topologies and would be environment
> independent so you could use the same "enchantment" file whether you
> were running the Juju client in Ubuntu, Mac OS-X, Windows (should there
> ever be one of those!) or as a Jenkins plugin.

I can't really speak to the declarative charm suggestion -- although I'd
like to hear the discussion -- but the "enchantment" feature sounds very
similar to the "stacks" concept; it's been floating around for a while,
but hasn't been discussed in much detail because it isn't on the
immediate horizon.

Cheers
William