CLI support in lp:charm-helpers and the road to 1.0

Antonio Rosales antonio.rosales at canonical.com
Fri Aug 23 23:42:04 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 6:29 PM, Mark Mims <mark.mims at canonical.com> wrote:
> thanks!
+1 Thanks for ensuring we are able to keep the "write your charm in
any language" story while trying to improve the charm authorship
story. Be sure to join the Charm Development Tooling 1308 UDS
session[0] so we can add your items to the task list.

[0] http://summit.ubuntu.com/uds-1308/meeting/21891/servercloud-s-juju-charmhelper2/

-thanks,
Antonio

> On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 3:53 PM, Matthew Wedgwood
> <matthew.wedgwood at canonical.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm happy to announce that lp:charm-helpers now includes support for
>> command-line invocation of helpers using the "chlp" command. This release
>> implements only two simple subcommands intended as examples. Nevertheless,
>> this is a major milestone, as it paves the way for  charm authors to access
>> charm-helpers functionality from any language capable of making shell calls.
>>
>> With all the work we've put into the project, I think we're ready to push
>> forward to a 1.0 release. The goals I have in mind for 1.0 are:
>>
>> * Implement any remaining most-frequently-used functionality for charms
>> * Expose generally-useful helpers a chlp subcommands
>> * Provide basic documentation for python and command-line users
>> * Settle on a stable API by ensuring that helpers outside of contrib are
>> well-organized
>> * Set up automated unit tests whose success will gate merges to the stable
>> tree
>> * Set up a stable PPA that can be used with confidence by charm authors
>> and deployers
>>
>> The top thing you can do to help is to file bugs reports. In addition to
>> problem reports, feature requests are most welcome.
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/charm-helpers/+bugs
>>
>> If you'd be so generous to contribute development effort, please consider
>> the 1.0-milestone bugs top priority.
>> https://launchpad.net/charm-helpers/+milestone/1.0
>>
>> Finally, I'd like to extend my thanks to all the contributors and users so
>> far.
>>
>> -Matthew

> Mark Mims, Ph.D.
> Canonical Ltd.
> mark.mims at canonical.com
> +1(512)981-6467

Antonio Rosales
Ubuntu Cloud Ecosystem Engineering
juju.ubuntu.com/charm-championship - Share your infrastructure, win 10k!