PPAs for juju api client and deployer

Mark Canonical Ramm-Christensen mark.ramm-christensen at canonical.com
Wed Aug 21 19:17:32 UTC 2013

I don't at all want to argue for slowing progress, and while I
recognize the cost of maintaining devel/stable releases I don't think
that a "tools" ppa is the answer. We are not in a place where nightly
builds of all the tools provides our users with a "good enough"
experience.  We have had tool releases that only work with specific
versions of core, and that results in an /unfortunate/ user
experience.

So, I'm still going to argue for stable/devel PPA's for all the "key tools."

But, If a specific tool is not ready for stable/devel that is fine --
it should have it's own PPA and people should have to add it manually.
 This makes it clear exactly where it stands with relationship to the
main juju project (it is outside of the "supported" pathway and it's
use is experimental).

But if we are telling people they *need* to use a specific tool, we
should at the very least be providing them development versions that
they can file bugs against. And furthermore if we want to officially
endorse a tool we should be putting it in a standard devel PPA.

Beyond that, if we are going to support it's use in commercial
engagements -- we need to have a "stable" version in the stable PPA.

For devel at least, we can still do this by using a recipe off a
branch or tag in the repo, so this should just be as simple as
deciding that the nightly build from some day is "good enough" for
devel, and setting it up.  For stable, I would love to have this gated
by at least a very basic integration test, and perhaps run using a
recipe that gets tarballs of all the source and builds from there so
that it is entirely reproducible.

We can't keep building stuff that is not tested together and expecting
users to have a great "it just works" experience. So, to sum up, If
tools are not yet at a state where we can provide that experience, we
should not be officially endorsing them, and if they are, the work
required to add them to stable/devel PPA's will pay off in better user
experience.